On 04/01/2022 05:47, David Brodbeck wrote:
[SNIP]

I found bacula-sd and NFS were not a very happy combination. It was very quick to react to network glitches by marking the entire volume as failed, then trying and failing several more volumes before things finally got moving again. I was constantly having to manually recycle failed volumes.

That can sometimes be fixed by setting the mount to be soft rather than hard, or vice-versa, but the Linux implementation of NFS leaves a lot to be desired, at both ends. (Speaking as a person who was a tech lead at SGI's "File Serving Systems" and wrote many, many tests for NFS and really developed a distaste for the subtle gotchas in NFS. If I ever hear someone defending the, "Oh, it can't fall back from v4 to v3 because they're different protocols", again, I will strangle the <profanity elided>.)

Or carefully sequentially re-booting all the systems, in the right order, so that the NFS state is nice and fresh before you start hammering it. (And what about a circular mount state? This server mounts that server mounts another server mounts this server. Fun. Not.)

I could see iSCSI maybe working better, but I haven't tried it.

iSCSI is not the same as NFS (or SMB), it shares a "raw device" which the mounting system then formats and uses, the device can't be shared on/from the iSCSI server. (Well, it can be shared by simulating sneaker-net, mount-fiddle about-umount-mount elsewhere-fiddle about-umount-etc.)

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)