On 05/01/2022 00:43, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
On 1/3/2022 8:05 PM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
On 04/01/2022 05:47, David Brodbeck wrote:

I could see iSCSI maybe working better, but I haven't tried it.

iSCSI is not the same as NFS (or SMB), it shares a "raw device" which the mounting system then formats and uses, the device can't be shared on/from the iSCSI server.

I think he means if you use an iSCSI device for your storage you should avoid most of the shared-FS problems: it's not like you *need* your volumes shared to multiple servers.

But if your network is dodgy, then iSCSI may be just as dodgy as NFS. (iSCSI over FC, however, works very well.)

 > ...   (Well, it can be shared by simulating
 > sneaker-net, mount-fiddle about-umount-mount elsewhere-fiddle
 > about-umount-etc.)

In theory ZFS will let you make a mirror from a local drive and an iSCSI device, and then you could restart each half in "degraded" state...

Not theoretical - I have done exactly this when moving Solaris systems to new hardware, both SPARC[1] and x64. Once you've done the hard yakka getting it to boot and run on the new box it Just Works(TM).

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

1 - Okay, it didn't work well going from the old T-series to the new S-series, but that was a, "Will it work?", thing, not an, "It must work", thing. The S2 is going to be a completely new system, someday, RSN, in the fullness of time... ;-)