Phil Stracchino schrieb am 10.05.23 um 20:11:
On 5/10/23 11:19, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
This is not really a Bacula question but I'm hoping someone has come across this when using NFS to mount a NAS storage device.

As I understand it, the UID:GID on the remote storage and the local SD daemon must match or permission denied results. My NAS has NFS v3 and this can't be changed.

I can create a new user on the NAS but I have no control over what UID:GID it chooses and will not be the same as the SD daemon user:group.

I believe NFS v3 doesn't have the capability to map UIDs; that facility is v4 only.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

What is the NAS?  I'm guessing if you don't have the ability to control UIDs/GIDs on the NAS you probably can't install a SD on it directly either.  NFS-mounting your Bacula backup storage is usually a bad idea unless you have no alternative.

Honestly, in my experience off-the-shelf consumer/prosumer NAS appliances are utterly horrible from a management perspective — you WILL do things THEIR way, or not at all.  I tried a consumer NAS a few uears ago — I'm blanking on the brand right now — and had to return it because not only was it useless for what I wanted, as well as having some pretty ghastly security issues. (Like making every file on every share world-read/write via NFS.)

If you can't control the UID/GID assigned by the NAS, can you change the UID/GID of your storage daemon to match what the NAS assigns?  That would at least solve the permission problems.

For a typical user NAS (which it seems to be and not a professional one) that is not unusual. I strongly recommend to use CIFS instead. This will not make it possible to change the UID/GID on the NAS side, but locally you can mount them as needed. If the NAS does not offer user management, you are pretty much stuck here.

cheers

TB