On 11/05/2023 13:49, Dr. Thorsten Brandau wrote:
Hi
I use an lto-9 drive for backup. I activated hardware compression on the tape
(i think) but all the logs of bacula show a tape change at 18TB which should be
the native (uncompressed) capacity. From experience I would expect a ratio of
at last 1:1.2. Is there any way to make sure to use compression (or as last
resort activate software compression)?

Are you using the actual compressed device in your bacula-sd.conf?

On Solaris I use /dev/rmt/0cbn to turn on compression. (But I started out handling tape back when they were huge upright things, throwing pseudo-random characters into device names is reflex. :-) )

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)