Not sure why you want to support LTO-6 tapes. Maybe you want to be able to
read old backups using the new system?

As others have said, definitely recommend using LTO-8 or LTO-9.

If you need the ability to read older backups on LTO-6 media, maybe you
could install a single LTO-6 drive into a modern tape changer. As far as
sourcing an LTO-6 drive, used or refurbished is probably your only option
here unless you already have a suitable LTO-6 drive. LTO-7 drives should be
able to read LTO-6 media, if you can't find an LTO-6 drive.

I bought our organization's hardware from backupworks.com in the USA. They
were really helpful when it came to selecting hardware. I don't have an
affiliation or any profit motive here, just that's who we went through and
I've found them to be very helpful.

We went with a Qualstar q24 library and a single LTO-8 SAS drive. You may
be interested in the Qualstar Q40, which expandable up to 280 slots or so.
The other Qualstar libraries are not expandable. The Q40 base unit contains
the robot, and the expansion modules just have slots for drives. They save
money by using only one robot to service all the drives, so expansion
modules aren't terribly expensive. Most of the cost of a library will be
the drives, not the library itself.

https://www.backupworks.com/Qualstar-Q40-LTO-8-Tape-Library.aspx

AFAIK most libraries are built by the same company these days, some outfit
in germany. Most drives are built by IBM or HP, with only IBM developing
new tape mechanisms at this point in time.

When considering different library manufacturers, knowing that the
libraries were just rebadged offerings from the same company made it a lot
easier to select a product. I can say that I saw some offerings from HP
that locked away some of the library slots behind a license, which I didn't
care for at all. Sell me my hardware and let me use it all, you *$%#^&s.

FYI if you want to be able to read old backups on LTO-6 media, you'll need
to get software set up to read those backups. Bacula uses its own format.

If you're considering sticking with LTO-6 media because you already have a
bunch of LTO-6 tapes, I advise you to strongly consider upgrading to newer
media standards like LTO 8 or LTO 9. Your cost per TB will be MUCH lower
for the newer formats.

Regardless of whether you buy new media or try to use existing LTO-6 media,
you'll need unique barcode labels for each tape. It's imperative that you
apply the labels carefully and that they're within the indented area
designated for the barcodes. Many tape robot jam issues are related to
improper labeling, from what I read.

Regards,
Robert Gerber
402-237-8692