On 11/28/23 13:27, MylesDearBusiness via Bacula-users wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Bill.

First of all, Bacula seems to be looking for a different volume name
every time, Vol-0014 doesn't match any folder I created (and the storage
space, minus a few boilerplate files and directories, was empty
initially as I would expect a newly configured cloud storage service to
be).

Hello Miles,

To be clear, you are not trying to backup to an S3 "cloud" bucket, right? When I see the word cloud, I need to be sure because when using Bacula cloud storage plugins, instead of creating a single file volume on disk for each volume in the catalog, Bacula will create a directory for each volume, and then write parts of the cloud volume under that volume's directory (ie: part.1, part.2...part.n)

Having said this, I see no "Cloud {}" resources in your pasted configuration so
I think we are OK. :)

I'm not quite understanding where Vol-0014 and other similarly
named volumes are coming from.  All I know is that I have a curlftpfs
based userspace mounting daemon running that presents remote storage
using a familiar file-system-based integration and that I'm trying to
point Bacula to back up into it.

We'll get there. :)

I originally created the local directory /mnt/my_backup as a directory
owned by backupuser:backupuser and then under user backupuser I mounted
my curlftpfs remote storage space under that directory.

Only backupuser has the rights to read from and write to this directory.

As shown in my gist copied again below, I'm only running the Director
under the bacula username.

Yes. I see this and this is all fine. Most people don't bother, but it is perfectly fine to edit the systemd unit files and change the user the Bacula daemons run as. :)

I'm running the SD and FD processes under the backupuser username
because that's the username I gave sole permission to access the storage
mount.

Yep. Still fine.

I also added more detail to the gist link to try to address some of your
questions :

https://gist.github.com/mdear/99ed7d56fd5611216ce08ecff6244c8b

More help is needed and help already given is much appreciated,

Thanks,

<Myles>

OK, I think I spotted at the issue.

I see what is more than likely the culprit:

In your SD Device called `FileChgr1-Dev1` you are missing an important parameter which allows the SD to create new file volumes when needed.
----8<----
LabelMedia = yes
----8<----

The other piece of this puzzle which allows Bacula to create new file volumes
as necessary is to have:
----8<----
LabelFormat = <something>
----8<----

...in the Pool (The pool is `File` in this case). This is OK in your
configuration, as I see:
----8<----
Label Format = "Vol-"
----8<----

I also see that you already have two other important settings in the `File`
Pool:

- MaximumVolumeBytes
- MaximumVolumes

But keep in mind 90G file volumes with a maximum of 100 of them in the pool and a volume retention of 1 year, you will probably want/need to play with these numbers a bit depending on your amount of available storage. I personally prefer 10GB file volumes, but people use any number of different sizes - this will depend on your environment.

I think once you make these changes things should start looking up.

I would then cancel any jobs you have running/stuck:

In bconsole:

* cancel (then follow the prompts)

Then list the volumes:

* list media pool=File

Then delete delete them from the catalog:

* delete yes volume=xxxx       (where xxxx is the volume's name)

Then, reload the Director:

* reload

Then restart the SD, and try another test.

If it still fails please show:

* list joblog jobid=xxxx  (where xxxx is the job id of a recent job sitting
waiting to mount a volume)

* list pools

* list media

Then, please show from a shell (as root):

# find /mnt -ls      (The `-ls` is important.)

Please just post everything in the mailing list, It is easier for me to follow
this way. :)

Additionally, once you get this working, you will want to have more than one of these Devices in the SD's Autochanger. This way you can run multiple concurrent jobs to different devices, and you will alway have a device ro restore with when backups are running - especially if you add a few and set `ReadOnly = yes` :)

Good luck,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski