Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Synology DS218+ with Active Backup for Business to
backup some Windows clients, even remote using OpenVPN. Things work
pretty well, ABB is fast because of using Changed Block Tracking based
on Windows VSS and aspects like when to run at all can be configured
remotely.

Though, I'm considering replacing the NAS with a more powerful home
server based on Linux to have more freedom about the used software etc.
One large topic left is how to backup Windows clients, so would be great
if you could answer some questions about how ABB works now and if there
is a reasonable replacement approach with Bacula.

* Does the Windows client of Bacula implement CBT based on VSS or does
  it simply iterate files in the created snapshot? Does it transfer
  changes within files only at all or always the whole changed files?
  Even without CBT it could apply some RSYNC-like approach.

* Can the Windows agent be configured remotely, e.g. to change when to
  backup, which files etc.? Or do I need to do these things manually
  accessing the client "somehow", chaing some config files etc.?

* Can the agent be updated automatically when a new version of Bacula is
  deployed? I've only read about some installers yet and stuff about
  compatible versions.

* Does Bacula support some sort of tenants? For ABB I'm using one BTRFS
  subvolume per Windows client to strictly seperate data. While it makes
  deduplication less efficient, that wasn't too much of a problem yet.
  Looking at the architecture with centralied database and storage pool,
  it doesn't seem supported/possible to me currently?

* What's the preferred tunneling for Bacula, OpenVPN or SSH? I'm using
  ABB with OpenVPN and it works pretty well. But maybe the Windows agent
  has some hooks ore something where SSH-tunnels might be created and
  those used instead?

* Would be great to hear from anyone else who migrated similarly already
  about their experiences and approaches!

Thanks for your time!