It appears that certain autoimmune diseases such as asthma, arthritis, MS, and Chron's are more prevalent in modern industrialized nations. According to the <http://www.hygienehypothesis.com/>hygiene hypothesis , our bodies are ecosystems that have been damaged by a rapid reduction in number and variety of microorganisms that populate our bodies and immediate environment and that a consequence is the rise of autoimmune diseases and immunological disorders.

Jasper Lawrence travelled the world to infect himself with various parasitic worms which research had suggested might help his asthma. He now <http://autoimmunetherapies.com/helminthic_therapy_evidence/>sells parasites online, a practice being called helminth therapy.

Now that most people accept that Acidophilus bacteria are good for digestion, this theory sounds a little bit less bizarre.

<http://blogs.wnyc.org/radiolab/2009/09/07/parasites/>Link
(to Radiolab episode)

--
Posted By David Fine to <http://www.monochrom.at/english/2009/09/parasitic-worms-as-therapy.htm>monochrom at 9/09/2009 01:37:00 AM