> Jonah's site places _Private Dowding_ under the fiction category. However,
I am not sure that Tudor Pole regarded it as such. He had a strong interest
in spiritism (spiritualism).

Hi Mark,

You are correct,  I was using Jonah's classification.  When I first read it
(it's been a while) I think I was reading it as if the events were ones
Tudor Pole actually experienced, which is what he claims in the story: "The
messages I received in this manner from 'Thomas Dowding," recluse,
schoolmaster, soldier, are set down exactly as they reached me."

In placing the work in the fiction category, one probably has a bit of
skepticism regarding people speaking from the next world (and I usually
do--although speaking as a scientist I have had inexplicable things happen
to me-- so sometimes I have to be willing to suspend my disbelief).  In this
case, it's a bit difficult for me to distinguish if and how much of the
story was actually experienced by Mr. Pole and how much was simply based on
his insights (and possibly on discussions with Abdu'l-Baha and the Baha'is).
I guess I would have to know whether or not his statement about "exactly as
they reached me" is simply a literary device or the truth before I would
definitely call if fiction.

Patti