Gilberto,

At 01:41 PM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
>>Okay, but what I'm saying is that one can say God "*can* change His mind, but
>>chose not to, at least not in an ultimate sense, hence the perennial
>>philosophy.<<

Most proponents of the perennial philosophy I have read would not agree with
what you wrote, including the traditionalists and Huxley. They *begin* with the
assumption, the foundationalism, that the same basic truths are repeated time
and again, and they then proceed, deductively, to draw their conclusions from
that assumption.

>>The Perennial philosophy doesn't imply putting presumtuous limits on God. The
>>disagreement isn't about what God can do but over what God does do.<<

Some of them may make that distinction, but, if so, I am unaware of it. You
would need to show me an example. However, all the perennialists I have read
assume that the perennial philosophy reflects the timeless Nature, or Essence,
of God.

I wrote:
> [...]

You replied:
>>I'm not sure why this is problematic.<<

Because they fail to distinguish between God's Will and His Essence.

>>Right. I think that being actually guilty of murder in some moral sense is a
>>very very different question from whether one is convicted guilty of murder
>>in a court of law.<<

Okay, but what is "some moral sense"? Are you referring to religious law?

>>Innocent people are convicted all the time. Guilty people are let off on
>>technicalities. That's why I don't think that plea bargaining or other such
>>behavior is a good argument for the flexibilitiy of the definition of
>>murder.<<

I am not arguing for it. I am saying that definitions of murder are often
grounded in opportunism, politics, and language games.

>>Ok. But my question is why you would say there is more than one elephant.<<

It goes back to what I suggested before about each Revelation being a distinct
paradigm.

>>Different religions are looking at the one God in different ways.<<

Yes, or, perhaps, as in the case of the Buddhisms, not focusing on "God" at all.

>>How do you see the analogy working?<<

I am a perspectivist. I believe that there are many possible Baha'i faiths
(small "f") in the context of the Baha'i Faith.

I wrote:
> [...]

You replied:
>>What you are saying doesn't make sense to me.  Although I'm not sure how to
>>pinpoint where the disagreement is.<<

lol. A lot of people don't agree with me. You are not alone.

Mark A. Foster * http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger"
-- Abbie Hoffman