On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:04:14 -0800, Rich Ater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[If I remember correctly, this was a response to the issue of whether
the concept of progressive revelation, implied criticizing God for the
previous revelations]

> Gilberto:
I think you have to be careful about how you go about doing it
[presenting the doctrine].
> Bahais
call their belief *progressive* revelation which strongly
> suggests
that the dispensations of the Bab and then of Bahaullah are
> somehow
deeper, more complete, more suitable, new and improved, or
> otherwise
better than what came before.
And when Bahais start to articulate
> how the Bahai writings have
"progressed" over the Quran then the negative
> statements come into the
picture.Gilberto,

Rich:
>     Sorry it has taken so long. I would agree. I would ask you to bare in
> mind that the Faith hasn't developed as many scholars as we'd like to think,
> nor have we given serious thought to what progressive revelation really
> means. If you read Baha'u'llah's comments on Islam and Muhammad you did get,
> IMO, the concept of His or the Bab's revelations being superior in the sense
> that some define progressive revelation. I believe that Baha'u'llah's
> writings can give us a deeper understanding of the Qur'an than someone
> reading it in the late 7th century had and  that a better understanding than
> someone in the 2nd century reading the Gospels would have been had by
> someone reading it after being open to the Islamic revelation.

Gilberto:
I'm not sure I've read enough of Bahaullah's writings to say that he
gives a particularly deep understanding. Some Bahai interpretations of
Quranic passages I don't find terribly satisfying or super-deep. I
think there are Muslim scholars, especially Sufis and others who
interpret the Quran in ways which I find more impressive.

But the larger point I would want to make is that if you are saying
that over time, people can have a deeper understanding of certain
texts, then I actually wouldn't have much a problem with that notion
of progress. If, as quoted from the Bahai writings, the word of God is
endless in meaning, then that suggests that Muslims could stick to the
Quran and continue to study it, and find more and more spiritual depth
the more time they spent in its ocean.

 Gilberto:
I wouldn't
> want to set the prophets against one another. Their various
messages are a
> repetition of the messages which came before. The
differences are more
> "horizontal" than "vertical" for example having
Friday be the emphasized day
> of the week rather than the Sabbath. The
problem with those earlier
> communities is that the original revelation
was no longer being faithfully
> transmitted. For example, I wouldn't
try to say that the Quran was better
> than the original Gospel or the
original Torah. I would question whether the
> texts in the current Old
and New Testament really are the Torah or the
> Gospel.

Rich:
Once again this has to do with our understanding. I know the Muslim
> belief about the original Gospel and Torah. I think its specious. There is
> nothing in the Qur'an to back it up.

In a passage discussing the People of the Book, is the admonition:

[2.79] Woe, then, to those who write the book with their hands and
then say: This is from Allah, so that they may take for it a small
price; therefore woe to them for what their hands have written and woe
to them for what they earn.

On top of that there are several hadith (at least one specifically
interprets the above verse) which are more explicit.

And on top of that, even if the Quran and sunnah didn't verify the
idea, I think the case for Biblical corruption is too strong to
neglect. For example, if you read the Penteteuch (the "Torah") Moses'
death is described at the end, in particular from the perspective of
someone long after. So someone besides Moses obviously wrote that
section. But then other passages of the Penteteuch are written in the
same style. In fact, Biblical scholars almost universally accept the
Documentary Hypothesis, which states that the Biblical Penteteuch had
multiple authors (typically 4 are distinguished) and edited together
centuries after Moses. So if that's true, the original revelation
given to Moses (the actual Torah) is only a part of the Biblical
Penteteuch.

A similar argument could be made about the Gospels. If the Gospel is a
revelation given to Jesus (similar to how the Quran was given to
Muhammad) then the Gospel, if it exists in the NT at all is found in
some portion of just the "red letters". But other elements are put
into the mix as well.

Besides, if you read about the history of the texts you would see that
certain changes have taken place.