" For a non-Muslim hadith is confusing. There is no consensus as to which
hadith are reliable and which are not."

Dear Scott,

There is a consensus, though it may not be based on the best criteria. But
hadiths are usually classed as 'sound' or 'weak' by virtue of their chain of
transmission.

 "Dr. Khalifa is incensed by the idea that the Prophet might have married a
child and consummated the wedding at age 11. He rejects this strongly, and
it is an argument constantly used against Islam by those who "bash" the
faith of Muhammed. He takes the view that such a marriage is counter-Quranic
and seems to carry the point well - at least that particular point, anyway.
This would throw all the hadith accredited to Aisha out the window, and
there are a lot of them."

Gee, I suppose we can dispense with the fact Baha'u'llah had more than one
wife the same way! And we can ignore the fact the Bab had slaves . . .

"It comes down to this for me as an outsider (to Islam) where hadith and
Qur'an would seem to disagree hadith must give way if the text and the
tradition cannot be brought  into juxtaposition."

Yes, but from the standpoint of Muslims the hadith support their
interpretation of what might otherwise be a somewhat ambiguous verse. I'm
not saying they are right, only that they are not being unreasonable. The
Jews weren't being unreasonable when they insisted Jesus couldn't be the
Messiah according to scripture either. Reasonable or not, they were still
wrong. Ultimately a Manifestation must be recognized on His own terms.

warmest, Susan