On 10/19/05, Hajir Moghaddam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [4.89] They desire that you should disbelieve as they have
> disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from
> among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if
> they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them,
> and take not from among them a friend or a helper.
> [4.90] Except those who reach a people between whom and you there is
> an alliance, or who come to you, their hearts shrinking from fighting
> you or fighting their own people; and if Allah had pleased, He would
> have given them power over you, so that they should have certainly
> fought you; therefore if they withdraw from you and do not fight you
> and offer you peace, then Allah has not given you a way against them.

> Gilberto:

> So who is excepted? Those who you have a treaty with. Those who have
> stopped fighting. Those who have withdrawn and offered peace. So the
> people in verse 89 who are being fought against are clearly those who
> you have no treaty with, and who have not laid down their arms and are
> continuing to fight against you. But those who are peaceful, ALLAH HAS
> NOT GIVEN YOU A WAY AGAINST THEM.  When the Quran talks about > using force
> against a group of people its not just non-Muslims who are
> peacefully  minding their own business. It is talking about those who
> have violently attacked the Muslims and have no intention of stopping.
>
> Hajir:

> Doesn't the second part of the verse assumes there was fighting already
> taking place:  "their hearts shrinking from fighting you".

I'm not sure what is your point. There are other passages in the Quran
which talk about not being the aggressor in the first place. There is
no justification in the Quran for attacking peaceful, tax-paying
non-Muslims.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.