Another memorable post for the hall of fame of rubbish and non-sensical
comments.

Iskandar

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> On 10/27/05, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "How did they change? (I don't mean, "what was the change?", I mean
> > "What was the process by which they changed?")"
> >
> > Dear Gilberto,
> >
> > I consider the Will of God to be the basis of all morality. That Will is
> > expressed through revelation. And it was revealed through Baha'u'llah that
> > would be no more genocide, burning of books or shunning of other religious
> > communities. And He explicitly mentioned the incident involving the Banu
> > Qurayzah in this context.
>
> > " Muhammad marrying
> > Aishah was a unique event."
> >
> > I don't think so. I think child marriages weren't all that uncommon then.
>
> You don't understand. I didn't say "child marriages are unique". I
> said the specific action of Muhammad (saaws) the prophet marrying
> Aishah (ra) the mother of the believers was a unique event. If I had a
> daughter who was nine and some guy came around trying to propose
> marriage, that would be a different event and there are reasonable
> considerations which would allow a good orthodox Muslim to say "Hell
> no! you must be crazy" while accepting the marriage of the prophet to
> Aishah. That's what I'm saying.
>
> > > realize that Muslims take the opposite position.
>
> > "Where do you get that from? We've already had this discussion before.
> > Our society is different now. I don't think a Muslim needs to convert
> > to the Bahai faith to be able to say that today  maybe people should
> > get married at an older age than they did 1000 years ago."
>
> > You may not think so but those calling the shots in Islamic governments take
> > the opposite position.
>
> Firstly, Islam isn't defined by the policies of "Islamic" governments.
>
> > If they prophet married a girl at a certain age, then
> > that should be the age of majority for girls.
>
> You are oversimplifying. In principle, maturity begins with puberty,
> although there are at times upper and lower limits to address the
> problems of late bloomers and early starters (respectively).
>
> > If you imagine ethics and
> > morality as divorced from time and place, that would certainly be the
> > logical conclusion.
>
>  You are being really insulting. Age isn't the only consideration in marriage.
>
> > > If Muhammad treated a
> > > nine-year old girl as an adult, then this should be the age of
> > > majority for
> > > women for all time.
> >
> > I think you have a really crude idea about Islamic law. Scholars who
> > arrive at legal rulings ideally take into account many different
> > considerations before evaluating an action."
> >
> > It is not my idea about Islamic law. It is the position which has been taken
> > by the Iranian government. Would you like me to show you the documentation?
>
> Islam is defined by the Quran and the sunnah not by the policies of
> the Iranian government.
>

> -Gilberto

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.