No, you don't understand, Gilberto.  ...

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> On 1/24/06, Iskandar Hai, M.D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You keep talking about minor details. I'm talking about foundational
> > issues. Shi`ah believes that Abu-Bakr, `Umar and `Uthman wrongfully
> > usurped `Ali's legitimate position as the Prophet's vicar and authroized
> > interpreter of the Word of God. No Sunni would ever agree to that.
>
> And you don't understand me. I'm not saying Sunnis will turn into
> Shias or that Shias will turn into Sunnis. What I'm saying is that
> both can accept one another as Muslims and disagree without being
> disagreeable.

A Shi`ah person does not and cannot, by definition, accept the first three
Caliphs as legitimate successors to the Prophet. And a Sunni will not
accept that `Ali -- and only `Ali -- was the true and legitimate successor
to the Prophet and that `Ali, and `Ali alone, had the Divine right to give
authoritative interpretation of the Word of God.

> > Here is my neck of woods there is a fine Pakistani restaurant, owned by a
> > Shi`ah. The Imam of the Sunni mosque here declared him a kAfir, because he
> > serves alcoholic bevergaes in his restaurant. Owners of other (but Sunni)
> > restaurant businesses who also serve alcoholic beverages have not been
> > publicly condemned. Alcohol is a minor issue here, a ruse, a subterfuge.
>
> I would actually disagree. In alot of inner-city neighborhoods there
> is a problem where immigrant "Muslims" come in and run liquor stores
> in African-American communities. In Oakland recently there was an
> issue where Black Muslims actually vandalized liquor stores owned by
> immigrant Muslims. Similar tensions exist in the Detroit/Dearborn
> area. Immigrant Muslims who run liquor stores are actually really bad
> and hypocritical representatives for Islam and I have no interest in
> defending their behavior in any way except to say that even if  they
> are Shia, they are still Muslim... bad Muslims... but Muslims.

You disagree with what? You disagree with the Sunni Imam here in my neck
of woods who issued a takfir order against a Shi`ah restaurant owner? This
Imam did not issue a takfir order against Sunni Muslims who did the same.
The issue of alcohol was just a pretext. That's all. Of course serving
alcohol is against Islam. But why did this Sunni Imam decided to
selectively issue a takfir against a Shi`ah resturant owner, and not
against Sunni ones?

> > The foundational issue is the Shi`ah-Sunni conflict on who was the
> > legitimate interpreter of the Quran after the Prophet Muhammad and who was
> > His legitimate successor.
>
> From a Sunni perspective, what you are saying seems silly because
> Sunnis aren't anti-Ali. In your mind this is really contentious but
> from mine it isn't.
>

>From a Shi`ah standpoint, it's quite foundational and not silly at all.
For a Sunni, `Ali was a successor (to `UthmAn) just equal to the other
three Caliphs and he is not regarded by Sunni Muslims as m`asum or
infallible. Shi`ah believes that `Ali, and `Ali alone, was the only
legitimate spiritual as wel as temporal successor to the Prophet and that
`Ali, and `Ali alone, was the Divinely-inspired authorized and infallible
interpreter of the Word of God. The Shi`ah consider the other 3 Caliphs
as usurpers. No Sunni can/will agree to that.

Regards,
Iskandar

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.