Title: Re: What's the truth of Astrology and Numerology?

Hasan Elias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At the end of the chapter “The influence of stars” of SAQ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá said “this subject is worthy of examination”, but the guardian said that it is a waste of time “The friends should be encouraged not to waste time on such things as astrology”.

My common sense says that any prediction of the “Horoscope” made by any crazy astrologer (especially diary prediction) is trash, but I wonder why some important books in our secondary literature such as Apocalypse unsealed (supposedly a tafsir) took the issue of Astrology as a source. On the other hand, if Numerology (Abjad system) is not important, then why Bahá’u’lláh gave same name values to believers as Nabil (Muhammad) and other crucial words maintain the importance of numerical value.

We say that these “pseudoscience” has nothing to do with the teachings, but at the same time we (and scholars too) quote them or use them in some way. So, what’s the truth and real contribution of these things?

I appreciate direct answers, thanks.

I think that Abdu'l-Baha and Shoghi Effendi were using two different definitions of "astrology".

I think that Abdu'l-Baha was referring to "the apparent correlation between astronomical phenomenon and human events".  I think Shoghi Effendi was referring to popular astrology that emphasizes signs and houses.

For the last 100 years, and especially the last 30 years, there has been a lot of scientific research into astrology as I have suggested Abdu'l-Baha may have been thinking.  Among other things, researchers have conclusively proven that signs, houses and factors based on them have no identifiable predictive value.  In other words, sun sign astrology and therefore the vast majority of all horoscope interpretations are exactly as Shoghi Effendi said.

At the same time, these researchers are finding some amazing things.  For example, the outstanding members of various vocations tend to have certain aspects in common, aspects that are ignored by most astrologers.  I'm not referring to the common conjunction/opposition/square/trine/etc, but micro-aspects derived from division of the circle by odd numbers up at least to 125.  These aspects are considered operational only if their "orb" is measured not in degrees but in minutes or sometimes seconds.  These researchers are using the latest in statistical techniques and the computer to generate their findings.  Recently a common procedure is to use Foure analysis of not just a few friends or clients, but 100's and even 1000's of individuals.  I have not been very involved in this community for 20 years, but I'll guess that there are probably only a couple dozen individuals in the world doing this type of work, and their progress is very slow.  This type of research, as with any serious research, is very slow and labor intensive; and there's not a whole lot of money  supporting it.

Of what practical use are their findings at the present time?  Not much.  While very interesting, even their vocational findings are statistical correlations.  And while practically all outstanding individuals in a field might have a particular configuration, the fact that a young person has such a configuration does not necessarily mean that they too will be outstanding in a field.  It is like any other psycho/social test of vocational compatibility.

Don C

--

-.-.-.-.-
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.