Lt Colonel le Marquis Zac Zilvain, Minister of War,

Thank you for your graciousness in holding your several gatherings this month.
In preparation for the interesting discussions, allow me to provide my current opinions. I look forward to hearing from others, and possibly learning some perspectives I have overlooked.

On the matter of dueling, I find myself torn between several perspectives. First and foremost of course, one must acknowledge the absolute and supreme authority of his majesty in all matters. Therefore, I must conclude that in some fashion I have not understood, there is something wrong about duels of honor. It has seemed to me both necessary and desirable that gentlemen be able and willing to defend their honor when it is impugned. There are those who confused this with arguing matters of fact. A blade can not adjust facts. But the perspective that goes with them can be very different. In many cases, even the losers honor can be found to have been defended by his very willingness to step forward with his sword.
Related to this, I think that there have been times when folks have gotten carried away with what consitutes "honor" and resorted to duels over minor matters. It would not surprise me if this tendency, and the unfortunate wounds it produces, may not have had something to do with his Majesty conclusion that dueling is wrong. [OOC: By default, I vote duels to be without cause. I sometimes put in specific orders indicating that specific duels needing votes are with cause.]

On the matter of the Military Academy, I look forward to the discussion in the hopes that we can find a way to bring this about [OOC: without driving the GM / programmer crazy.] It would seem that the Academy will require a Commandant, and instructors. It would seem that a student could learn something useful in about 10 weeks of study.
[OOC:
1 Commandant, an appointment like all normal ones. Requires MA 8, Brg. General or above.
3(?) Instructors, similar to the fencing instructorships requiring 1 week per month.
Instructors must have MA over 6. bonus on application for higher skill.
Requires Rank of Major or above.
students of MA less than 6 gain a skill point for every 10 weeks of study.
Some rules I have seen propose splitting cavalry and infantry. That seems too complex.]

Yours,
Brevet General le Marquis Soire de Success, Chancellor of the Exchequer
who hopes to return to the army for the summer

At 11:36 AM 2/3/2003 +0100, Zac Zilvain wrote:

Gentlemen,
Given the current turn of events I will hold discussion groups during week
2 and 3 for all men of status.

During week 2 I would like to discuss the
current attitude of prominent Parisians towards duelling. It has come to
my notice that many Parisians no longer support the old traditions of
defending one's name against slander. Each guest is asked to send me a
personal note whether they are in favor of restoring this tradition or
not. Persons of lesser importance for who regratable there is no space
during the meeting, are also invited to send their opinion. However the
Kings Musketeers, as consistant underdog in the monthly excersises with
the Cardinals Guard are also welcome, as long as they are in fit
condition.

During Week 3, I would like to discuss the possibility of opening a
military acadamy where young frenchmen can learn the trade of war. Each
attendent is asked to give his idea of how to implement this acadamy into
the current society of Paris.

Lt Colonel le Marquis Zac Zilvain, Cardinals Guard
 Minister of War, Instructor of Le Tigre

[OOC: ZZ SL29 party week 2 & 3, SL23+ and mistresses welcome, cost
covered, KM welcome week 2 if above half endurance]

[OOC: Everyone is asked to send me:
1. his default Vote All All Yes/No order and their motivation for it.
2. Any rules suggestions for implementing a Military academy
]
_______________________________________________
Banana mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.humf.su.se/mailman/listinfo/banana

_______________________________________________
Banana mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.humf.su.se/mailman/listinfo/banana

Reply via email to