On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 06:34:51AM +0530, Navin Kabra wrote:
> > to expect the performance of C++ in Python. A good comparison should
> > be Java and I have found interchanging performance differences for
> > applications in Java and Python.
> >

> Huh!?
>
> I think you phenomenally misunderstand the current state of Java.

I understand that Java has made significant strides in terms of
performance improvement over the years. It is a really a good
language in terms of design. :)

I tried the shootout game to see the performance differences of Java,
Cpython and C++ and found pretty interesting behaviors.

Here is the link:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

There are three Java states given, Java -xint, Java steady state and Java
-server. Try choosing each of them and compare against Python and C++.
With respect to Python, you will find the alternative differences in
with java -xint and java -server and while java steady state will
always be faster ( I think, the java steady stage ignores the loading
of the virtual machine). But all of them will slower when compared to
C++.  Yeah, it is right to expect that JVM based will be slower than
compiled C++ code. Is it not?

I have found many blogs with comparisons, like the one with the
Josephus problem implementation, but the shootout game seems to be a
good one to use IMO.

--
Senthil
"The identical is equal to itself, since it is different."