On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:19:18AM +0530, Navin Kabra wrote:

> Nope. With JIT compilation, a JVM can actually beat C++

This seems a controversial statement to make. I have seen this come up
time and again at various blog posts all trying convince one thing
over the other.

> Overall, though, from the shootout page, it looks like Java is comparable to
> C/C++ in many cases, and a little slower in some cases. Python, on the other
> hand, is 10x to 30x slower in most cases... So my point still stands

It did it show that Java is 2x slower than C++ most of times while
Python 10x slower or more. This was a observation across the tests
with some exceptions.

When I said about Python vs Java, I was specifically thinking about an
Web server designed in a asynchronous, multi-threaded (read Twisted)
way, some earlier research made me think that Java performance, with
the frills required, would be comparable, but strictly speaking, I do
not know, as I did not write the program in Java and Python do the
comparison. Programmer's area of expertise helped here more with the
choice. :)

--
Senthil
Old MacDonald had an agricultural real estate tax abatement.