Hi,
On 03/03/2010 04:36 PM, Dhananjay Nene wrote:
Looking for a simple opensource python database library

Objectives :
- Should work at a level of abstraction above DB-Api. I should not have to
change code generally except for changing database configuration
parameters.
- Should be able to write code independent of the database (except where the
SQL itself was to be different in which case thats beyond the library's
control)
- Should support most reasonably popular databases (I am looking primarily
for MySQL but at least Postgres, SQL Server and Oracle support will be
useful)

All of that is available in popular ORMs. I prefer SQLObject to SQLAlchemy. Could you elaborate a bit on why an ORM would not be suitable ?

- Abstractions should be at a relational level. Thus any ORMs are out of
scope.

ehe .. ORM == Object /Relational/ Mapper. What do you mean by "Abstractions should be at a relational level" ?

I have found ADODb for Python so far. Looking for additional
recommendations.

anydbm ? ( http://docs.python.org/library/anydbm.html ), of course that though is not relational.

A quick google OTOH gives me this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/DbApiModuleComparison

Also, the little that i read online, I see that at least in theory all python DBI should follow: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/

...which if is also true in practice takes care of concerns you might have about cross DB API.

cheers,
- steve

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/