Hi,

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:51 PM, steve <st...@lonetwin.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03/03/2010 04:36 PM, Dhananjay Nene wrote:
>
>> Looking for a simple opensource python database library
>>
>> Objectives :
>> - Should work at a level of abstraction above DB-Api. I should not have to
>> change code generally except for changing database configuration
>> parameters.
>> - Should be able to write code independent of the database (except where
>> the
>> SQL itself was to be different in which case thats beyond the library's
>> control)
>> - Should support most reasonably popular databases (I am looking primarily
>> for MySQL but at least Postgres, SQL Server and Oracle support will be
>> useful)
>>

> All of that is available in popular ORMs. I prefer SQLObject to SQLAlchemy.
> Could you elaborate a bit on why an ORM would not be suitable ?

I need to build some simple relational database access over 2-3 tables in a
utility program. While it is quite solvable through ORM, the fairly limited
scope and nature of database access does not require the capabilities of a
full blown ORM. I use SQLAlchemy in my day job and I like it. Its just that
I wouldn't want to introduce a dependency on a much bigger toolset
especially when a smaller one could suffice.

>  - Abstractions should be at a relational level. Thus any ORMs are out of
>> scope.
>>
>>  ehe .. ORM == Object /Relational/ Mapper. What do you mean by
> "Abstractions should be at a relational level" ?

I meant the API should reflect cursors, sqlcommands etc (not objects,
relationships, inheritance etc.). Having said that I realise "at a
relational level" was not the most appropriate wording.

>  I have found ADODb for Python so far. Looking for additional
>> recommendations.
>>
>>  anydbm ? ( http://docs.python.org/library/anydbm.html ), of course that
> though is not relational.

Thanks for the tip. It got me thinking whether I could just choose to use it
instead. Thats still a thought under progress.

> A quick google OTOH gives me this:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/DbApiModuleComparison

> Also, the little that i read online, I see that at least in theory all
> python DBI should follow: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/
>
> ...which if is also true in practice takes care of concerns you might have
> about cross DB API.

Thats not how I have seen it work. For example mysql prepared sql uses "%s"
whereas others use "?". The database connection parameters are actually
different between different databases. SQLAlchemy works with and deals with
these issues. For example it has separate derived classes per database to
handle some of these variations. Also it uses a connection URI to skip over
the differences in the connection parameter differences. (The URI is always
a string - even if the string itself is composed quite differently .. thus
the code which uses the URI doesn't have to change even when the connection
parameters change). So essentially what I am looking for (being the lazy
person I am) is if someone has done this hard work of abstracting away the
database dbapi implementation differences :)

> cheers,
> - steve
>
> --
> random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/