Hello,

On 06.09.2016 14:45, Robert N wrote:
> On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 8:49:54 AM UTC+2, Robert N wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a job which failed because of lack of space. It wrote 344G before ran
>> out of space. job
>> got canceled automatically,

I guess the job terminated with error and was not canceled.

if I do a list files on the jobid in question, returns nothing but
>> the used Volumes are still marked as Full.

This is because usually the file metadata is entered into the database at once
after the backup
itself is completed. This was not done as the job was canceled.

>> I have also looked in the JobMedia table, and indeed the volumes are used by
>> the canceled job.
>>
>> What's the purpose of keeping the Volumes in Full status if all the records
>> related to the
>> canceled job are deleted from the catalog?

No, no data was deleted from the catalog. The job is in the database and the
jobs' data is stored on
these volumes.

Shouldn't be the VolStatus also marked as Append or
>> any other state which lets bareos reuse the Volume?

The data is on the volume, and as you already found out the job exists in the
database and the data
that was stored until the backup was canceled is stored on the volume and can
be recovered.

>> With the current behavior, is a waste of space until the Volume retention
>> expires....

No, it is no wasted as you do have the data on your media and it could be that
this is the only
copy of some data.

If you do not need it, you need to prune the job.

That decision is up to the human and is not automatically done by bareos.

Best regards,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

 Philipp Storz                             philipp.st...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG                      Phone: +49 221 63 06 93-92
 http://www.bareos.com                     Fax:   +49 221 63 06 93-10

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf,
 J. Steffens, P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen