Generally, the lute in mid to later 17th century France was the d minor
tuning.  The top string was usually at "f".  For a length of 68 cm,
generally, a gut treble can go to f at a=415.  If you exceed 68 cm, the
standard for "a" probably dropped a bit, as with my many years of
experience, the treble will break prematurely.

For example, if your lute is 72 cm mensur, the standard should be a bit
lower, .e. a = 392.

My 2 cents worth.

ed