Perhaps when you say, "Again, there's no proof, but

increasing the life of a treble string would
undoubtedly have been one of the areas of prime
concern.  (Indeed, Mace in 1676 implies that trebles
were stronger than the basses!)"

it depends what that means. As I understand it, under equel tension, a treble ist still stronger than
a Pistoy or a Venice."

I may be wrong, I often am, but that is what I understood.

I am of course not saying that we could not make stronger trebles.
I am sure we could, and that they indeed existed.
I hope we will see them again.
Anthony