Stephen Arndt wrote:
Dear Lutelist,

If anyone is interested, below is a link for another humble attempt at
recording, this time of an Allemande by Ennemond Gaultier (or is it Gautier?)
from the Barbe Manuscript. I think the rhythm is a bit off in a couple of
places, and I didn't realize how weakly I was playing the appogiaturas until I
listened to the recording. As always, critical comments are appreciated, either
on- or off-list.

http://download.yousendit.com/2CA885C1149F17C4 As before, I used an Edirol R-1 to record the piece. Does anyone know how it compares to the Zoom H2 (if I remember correctly) that Martin Shepherd is using? An intern where I work is a percussionist, and a couple of months ago he gave me a pair of drumsticks. I haven't played the drums for 37 years, but I got a practice pad and some books and have started again. In a single month I have reached I higher level of drumming than I have at the baroque lute in a year. It is really frustrating.
Best wishes,

Stephen Arndt

If you've only been playing Baroque lute for a year you've really come a long way! I enjoyed your playing and it is really interesting to hear non-professional performances. Throughout the history of music, most players will have been like most of us - enthusiastic amateurs.

Unlike earlier or later lute music, this repertoire is very tough for people today, I think. (I used to have a Baroque lute and at one point I got so exasperated with this French repertoire I gave up on the lute and all aspects of early music for years.) But it's really encouraging to hear your enthusiasm for this music.

I've recently been utterly intrigued (again) by music from the same period for guitar. And since you've put up your first recording I've wanted to have a go too. (God knows why). So here are two things that I think I notice in your playing - and mine, that I'm struggling with: 1) getting the phrases to stand out without losing the pulse 2) the thing that is happening in the final bit of the B section - the dotted whatever and the superquick pair of notes that follow. I'm sure this has to be razor sharp to be really effective.

Stuart