Anthony, I usually have to do quite a few takes before I can get one that doesn't have any gross mistakes in it. One thing that helps me is to think that if I make a mistake on this take, I can just erase it and do another. That seems to take some of the pressure off. I have only played in public a few times--a meditation piece after communion in church, for example, and I found it an absolutely nerve-wracking experience. I'm not cut out for public performance.

I played Renaissance lute for about four years before taking up the Baroque lute. I have to say that though there are virtuosic Renaissance pieces that I shall never be able to play, there are thousands that are well within my reach. I haven't found that to be the case with Baroque music. There doesn't seem to be a lot of easy music for it. Most of it seems pretty advanced to me. For the drums there are scores of books containing technical, rudimental exercises aimed at building skill. Playing through them really works. I don't know of any books like that for the lute, but I certainly think it would help if I had a series of technical exercise to play through for an hour a day.

Lutists keep telling me the contrary. They say that the left hand is so much easier on Baroque lute. I suppose it does depend on what Renaissance music you want to play. Some of those easier pieces can be very entertaining when someone else plays them, but can quickly become quite tiresome when repeated (I am amazed at the courage of teachers who have to constantly listen to such pieces poorly played); but if you are drawn to the more "devious" and interweaving melodic patterns, it soon becomes less simple. That is truly the reason I am more drawn to French Baroque than to say Weiss (i am not saying that Weiss is easy to play, of course).

Nevertheless, your experience with French Baroque, along with the fact that you seem to be using gut strings " I think a new instrument and gut strings have helped a lot, and I am more satisfied with the sound I am getting now"
gives me hope.

Of course for the Renaissance lute Andrea Damiani gives some exercises; and the new Baroque Method by Miguel Serdoura to be published by the same editor (http://www.utorpheus.com/utorpheus/) does the same. I have the previous version in French, but I haven't tried the exercises not having my lute as yet; but I have just seen that Rob says, it is just what you are looking for.

Translation into English is under progress, and I sometimes receive a question from the translator. It is not so easy to translate a method which makes an explicit reference to parts of the fingers to which the other language never seems to refer. It is strange how we can get by with all these gaps in our lexical system. Nevertheless, it should be out fairly soon. You can send an email to Miguel, and he will let you know when it is ready. I will also send a message to the list as soon as I hear that it is available.

http://www.miguelserdoura.com/fr/?Publications
http://www.miguelserdoura.com/?&mailform
Regards
Anthony