Sterling,

  Still some debate here. The very early (say late 17th/early 18th C) gallichon
(ie tuned in A string length in 90s) does seem to have been differentiated from
the mandora (in D string length in 60s/70s) at that time. But towards the mid
18th C as the smaller instrument became more popular (esp amongst amateurs
possibly as a result of the complexities of the 13 course Dm lute) the
instrument in D also came to be called the gallichon and, indeed, some sources
use the two words at different places in the MS. I speculated way back in '79
that size  or the peghead style (ie bent back lute style or viol style) might
have been used to distinguish the two but this is only based on the fact that
some of the early large A gallichons had viol type pegheads. We're little
further on from this....

  A bit like the 'chitarrone' and the 'tiorba' the names might have been
interchangeable by the 1750s.

  MH

sterling price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I had a chance to play a mandora\gallichon for the first time last summer at
the lute making workshop with David Van Edwards. Of course, I also had a hand
in making it too:) It was fun to play and Martyn was kind enough to send over
some mandora music for us to try out on the instrument. Not sure-is there a
difference between a mandora and gallichon? Are gallichons usually bigger than
mandoras?
Sterling

Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Bach's bass lines

Despite what the Barbarous Barber might say, Martyn is a very talented man -
he made his own gallichon, and is also a leading scholar in the world of the
gallichon, and although I've never heard him play, I'm told he is a fine
performer too. Maybe he would make you one, Dale? If not, I'm sure most
luthiers would like to try. The questions are: what pitch, string length,
single or double courses, and how many courses? It does seem to have been
overlooked my most of us as a very useful continuo instrument. High
Baroque bass lines do tend to get very chromatic, and the gallichon does
seem to be the only instrument of the lute family which could play them.

Rob