Nicolas,

This is a good question. There is a great deal of historic precedence for having a decorated peg box, and I see no reason to hesitate. I have a relatively old baroque lute, built in 1984 by Richard Berg, based on the Burkholtzer/Edlinger model, and the pegbox remains strong, with no evidence of weakening. The design is exactly as dome by Edlinger.

I think it perhaps has more to do with the builder, if he or she knows how to do it properly.

ed