Ed
I didn't know anything either, but thought I should try to find some basic knowledge to be able to discuss with lutemakers. I feel sure that lute players of the past had far more knowledge than we have today about woods and lute structure and how these affect the sound that they were wanting to achieve. Indeed, some luteplayers, such as Jacques Gautier appear to have been lutemakers, or at least lute designers themselves (he is described as maker of lutes for masques in the "programme" for one masque of the time).

As I understand it Sitka spruce is not equivalent to Bear Claw, but Bear Claw is quite prevalent in that particular species. It seems rather that Bear claw Sika is close in hardness to Adirondak. I have no idea if Adirondak can also have Bear claw, but from what others say, it seems most of it is quite young, in which case this is rather unlikely.

Here is an example of Bear Claw, for those who have probably seen it, but know it by another name:
Horizontal Bear claw
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/ag-no3phile/lute%20playing/ soundboard/?action=view&current=BearClaw1.jpg
Vertical Bear Claw
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/ag-no3phile/lute%20playing/ soundboard/?action=view&current=BearClaw2.jpg
Bear Claw on guitar table
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/ag-no3phile/lute%20playing/ soundboard/?action=view&current=BearClaw6.png

I know a Baroque Gamba that was made out of the wood of an ancient destroyed Chinese building (while making new roads). The table shows superb Bear claw marks, and one would presume that this would have been from a far eastern variety, so probably not Sitka.

I am looking forward to hearing about how it sounds, and actually just hearing it, on your next CD!

Anthony