Dear Ed
I am so pleased to hear your lute is back, and so we will soon be hearing more music, but even sweeter than on your excellent Conradi CD, if that is possible.

I am interested to hear you mention the singing quality of your lute. This is also what struck me about my 11c lute. I had heard a number of very good 11c lutes but none quite so singing. I suppose this comes from the contradictory qualities of clarity and sustain, which few lutes seem to possess.

Perhaps the hardness of the top could be the quality that our lutes might have in common. Stephen Gottlieb told me he had used a piece of perticularly old and hard timber, which happened to have a mild Bear claw pattern. Well you can certainly put it down to the new top, as that is all Dan Larson changed. I can only guess that it might be the top on my lute.

Was this wood, also from a stock of old floating logs, as I mentionned to you, in a previous message. If so, it could be both the age, and the fact that it is Adirondack?

Congratulations on the rebirth of your 11c lute. If I understand correctly, this is its second rebirth, as I believe previously it was a 7c lute.
A lute with nine lives?
Best wishes
Anthony