I agree with Mathias.  ET works best for d minor tuned lutes.

ed

At 05:16 PM 12/11/2009, Mathias Rösel wrote:
I never tried to get MT on the 11c lute. Taking the a's and fourth frets
a bit down seems about all you can do if you absolutely want to. I don't
because IMHO 11c lutes in D minor tuning were invented, so to say, for
ET. The same applies to the predecessors and company of the D minor
tuning, i. e. so-called transitional tunings.

Mathias

"wikla" <wi...@cs.helsinki.fi> schrieb:

> Dear baroque lutenists,
>
> getting into the d-minor tuned lute's secrets seems to be an interesting
> task! Among the many first impressions - partly good, partly not so good -
> was one of the latter: it looked like you really should get used to the
> equal temperament - to me quite heavy a sacrifice. Anyhow, after asking my
> former lute teacher and taking a look to his 11-courser, I got the idea
> that at least you can make your F-major and some other keys better by
> tuning the a's a little bit lower and taking the 4th fret a little lower;
> then there you have the a(low), f# and c#. All of them good to be low in
> many important keys.
>
> Anyhow g-minor seems to be problematic: eb's and f#'s seem always want to
> be on the same fret in the neigboring strings. And I guess there will be no
> good D-major unless you tune the 1st and 4th to f#. They also used that
> scordatura in the 17th anf 18th centuries.
>
> Any comments, experiences or hints in getting better intonation than the ET
> in d-minor tuned lutes?
>
> Best,
>
> Arto

Edward Martin