     From: Edward Martin <e...@gamutstrings.com>
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: PS to: Jacques de Saint-Luc
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>, "Baroque lute
     Dmth" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, 22:29

   Dear Martyn and all,
   I had some correspondence with Tim Crawford 15 years ago, and I was
   asking him about the notes written on Stephen Stubbs' CD of Saint
   Luc.  Here are copies of this correspondence.  No He did not live
   that long, as there were 2 Saint Luc's.  Here is what Tim wrote, 15
   years ago:
   ><<<<Oh dear, oh dear! The composer in question was probably Jacques
   de St Luc's
   >son, Laurent (again, this is from memory). The music is *obviously*
   from a
   >different generation than the 2 or 3 pieces by JdeSL that survive; it
   was
   >probably composed in the early 18th century, and is in the
   proto-galant
   >style we associate with de Visee, Losy and others rather than
   Gaultier,
   >Pinel, Dufaut etc who were JdeSL's contemporaries.>>>>>
   >
   >Dear Tim,
   >
   > I would not challenge your knowledge of this - I am a performer, not
   >scholar in these areas. Yes, the style does seem later to me, as
   well.  I
   >was merely quoting what the liner notes said - they were written by
   Manuel
   >Couvreur and Philippe Vendrix, translated by Celia Skrine.  Included
   in the
   >notes, on page 9, is the following:
   >
   >  "On 15 June, 1658, in the Cathedral of Sainte-Gudule in Brussels,
   >Saint-Luc married Isabelle de Lagrenee, possibly a descendant of
   Pierre
   >Lagrenee, an oboist and violinist in the court band of King Henri IV
   of
   >France.  He had several children by her including two sons,
   >Jacques-Alexandre, baptised at Sainte-Gudule on June 8, 1663, and
   Laurent,
   >baptised on 10 August 1669, but , contrary to what most musicologists
   claim,
   >there is no justification for supposing that they undertook any kind
   of
   >musical activity.  The last documented evidence of the presence of
   Saint-Luc
   >and his family in Brussels dates from 14 August 1684."
   >
   >On page 11, it states," Amongst the pieces with titles which
   contribute to a
   >picture of the composers last years, the latest date is one that
   >commemorates the capture of Lille in 1708.  Saint-Luc was by then 92
   years
   >old and must have died shortly afterwards.  Certainly there is no
   trace of
   >any later work"
   >
   >I agree with you Tim  - 92 years old is incredible, for that century!
   >
   >The notes also state that there are 2 main sources for his solo lute
   works,
   >in carefully copied manuscripts:
   >
   >ms.no. S.m. 1586 in the Austrian National Library at Vienna, and
   >
   >ms.no. X.L.b.210 in the library of Prague University.
   >
   >The last paragraph, page 12, states:
   >
   >"To Jacques de Saint-Luc undoubtedly belongs the credit for
   transmitting the
   >heritage of French lute music to a new generation of Viennese
   lutenists, the
   >last exponents of an instrument which was destined soon to disappear
   from
   >the musical scene."

   Thanks for passing this on. I am *extremely* skeptical that the St Luc
   of
   these MSS (and the several more in the same hand which have parts for
   violin
   and bass) is the same as the well-documented Jacques (about whom a book
   was
   written early this century). There is *no hint* of music in an earlier
   style
   in the MSS.
   As for the final paragraph, I couldn't disagree more with the authors.
   If
   they believe that the Viennese lutenists were "the last exponents of an
   instrument which was destined soon to disappear from the musical
   scene," then
   they either don't regard Weiss as a significant figure, or are
   pig-ignorant.
   Dufaut and Mouton both played in 'Austria' and were far greater
   composers
   and, probably, players. I suspect that J Gallot in his 'long journey
   abroad'
   (see the intro to the Gallot edition) also visited Vienna. As far as I
   know
   St Luc caused a stir at a wedding in Berlin in 1700, and there are one
   or
   two other references, but nothing to suggest he was as highly-respected
   as
   any of these three.
   I suspect Philippe Vendrix (who knows a thing or two) just read this
   too
   quickly.
   It is, I'm afraid, the result of misplaced scholarly caution. Because
   (and
   do not have the facts to challenge this) there is no evidence that
   JdeSL's
   sons were lutenists, and we have no evidence of  JdeSL's date of death,
   the music *must* be by him. This simply does not follow - it is a 'non
   sequitur'. It could be by a cousin, an undocumented son or someone
   impersonating any one of them. One has to take the scholarly risk of
   looking
   at the music, the MSS and their stylistic features and making a
   *judgement*!
   Not hard in this case.
   (Steve Stubbs, a musician I greatly respect, asked me some years ago to
   think
   about doing some liner notes for him but I never heard any
   more.)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
   I hope this helps.  I trust Tim's scholarship in this matter.
   ed
   At 11:25 AM 3/23/2011, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
   >     By chance I've just looked for any recorded music of Saint-Luc
   and saw
   >    that there's a CD by a  'Jacques-Alexandre de Saint Luc' with
   >    dates given as 1663 - c.1715.  I have no knowledge of the source
   of
   >    this information but it would certainly fit with the speculation
   of two
   >    individuals with the same, or similar,names. The players are
   Jacques
   >    Vandeville oboe and Daniel Fournier lute (and theorbo!).
   >
   >    MH
   >    --- On Wed, 23/3/11, Martyn Hodgson <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   wrote:

   >      From: Martyn Hodgson <[2]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   >      Subject: Jacques de Saint-Luc
   >      To: "Baroque lute Dmth" <[3]baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >      Date: Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, 15:47
   >

   >    The dates of this composer are generally given as 1616 - 1710
   which
   >    seems a phenomenal life span for the time and even more so when
   his
   >    extant lute works seem to be in the style of the early decades of
   the
   >    18th century (even down to fashionable
   >    doubling of the top and bottom line by strings) which would have
   made
   >    him well into his 90s when these works were composed....... His
   >    compositional style also seems much closer to Austro-germanic
   composers
   >    like Logy, von Radolt, Hintherleithner et al who flourished around
   the
   >    turn of the century being predominantly in a polarised treble and
   bass
   >    manner.
   >
   >    I can find little about this shadowy figure but am being drawn to
   the
   >    speculation that there may have been two different composers  with
   the
   >    same name (father and son/nephew perhaps). Can anybody shed
   further
   >    light?  Perhaps I've missed a paper?
   >
   >    One clue ought to be the names of pieces such as 'La Prise de
   >    Barcellonne', which might suggest a date of 1705 or 1714 but could
   be
   >    some earlier investment, or 'Le defaittes des Francois par les
   Allemand