     From: mathias.roe...@t-online.de <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: PS to: Jacques de
     Saint-Luc
     To: "Baroque lute Dmth" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Thursday, 24 March, 2011, 9:00

      > The elder may, of course, have= lived to a ripe old age but not, I
      > suspect, as a practicising m= usician: one modern note I've seen
   has
      him
      > travelling to Berlin = in 1700 (aged 84) to take part in the
   marriage
      of
      > Princess Louis= e of Brandenburg and Prince Frederick of
      Hesse-Cassel!
      The ms. in Vienna has notes in German kurrentschrift on the first
   page,
      = excerpts from Walther's lexicon, or so I seem to remember. The gig
   in
      Berli= n is mentioned there.
      Mathias
      > MH
      > --- On Wed, 23/3/11, Edward Martin <ed@gamutstrings.= com> wrote:
      > From: Edward Martin <[1]e...@gamutstrings.com><= br /> > Subject:
      [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: PS to: Jacques de Saint-Luc
      &g= t; To: "Martyn Hodgson" <[2]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>, "Baroque
   lute
      Dm= th"
      > <[3]baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
      > Date: Wedne= sday, 23 March, 2011, 22:29
      >
      > Dear Martyn and all,
      > I had some correspondence with Tim Crawford 15 years ago, and I
   was=
      > asking him about the notes written on Stephen Stubbs' CD of Sai=
   nt
      Luc.
      > Here are copies of this correspondence. No He did not = live that
      > long, as there were 2 Saint Luc's. Here is what Tim w= rote, 15
   years
      > ago:
      > ><<<<Oh dear, oh d= ear! The composer in question was probably
      Jacques
      > de St Luc's > >son, Laurent (again, this is from memory). The
   music
      is *obvi= ously*
      > from a
      > >different generation than the 2 or = 3 pieces by JdeSL that
   survive;
      it
      > was
      > >probably c= omposed in the early 18th century, and is in the
      > proto-galant
      > >style we associate with de Visee, Losy and others rather than<=
   br
      /> > Gaultier,
      > >Pinel, Dufaut etc who were JdeSL's cont= emporaries.>>>>>
      > >
      > >Dear Tim,
      > >
      > > I would not challenge your knowledge of this = - I am a
   performer,
      not
      > >scholar in these areas.= Yes, the style does seem later to me, as
      > well. I
      > &g= t;was merely quoting what the liner notes said - they were
      written by
      = > Manuel
      > >Couvreur and Philippe Vendrix, translated by Ce= lia Skrine.
      Included
      > in the
      > >notes, on page 9, is= the following:
      > >
      > > "On 15 June, 1658, in the = Cathedral of Sainte-Gudule in
   Brussels,
      > >Saint-Luc married Is= abelle de Lagrenee, possibly a descendant
   of
      > Pierre
      > &= gt;Lagrenee, an oboist and violinist in the court band of King
      Henri IV
      > of
      > >France. He had several children by her including= two sons,
      > >Jacques-Alexandre, baptised at Sainte-Gudule on J= une 8, 1663,
   and
      > Laurent,
      > >baptised on 10 August 1= 669, but , contrary to what most
      musicologists
      > claim,
      >= >there is no justification for supposing that they undertook any
      kind > of
      > >musical activity. The last documented evidence= of the presence
   of
      > Saint-Luc
      > >and his family in B= russels dates from 14 August 1684."
      > >
      > >On page = 11, it states," Amongst the pieces with titles which
      > contribute = to a
      > >picture of the composers last years, the latest date is= one that
      > >commemorates the capture of Lille in 1708. Saint-= Luc was by
   then
      92
      > years
      > >old and must have died s= hortly afterwards. Certainly there is
   no
      > trace of
      > &g= t;any later work"
      > >
      > >I agree with you Tim - 92= years old is incredible, for that
      century!

      > >= The notes also state that there are 2 main sources for his solo
      lute
      = > works,
      > >in carefully copied manuscripts:
      > >=
      > >ms.no. S.m. 1586 in the Austrian National Library at Vienna= ,
   and >
      > >ms.no. X.L.b.210 in the library of Prague Univers= ity.
      > >
      > >The last paragraph, page 12, states:
      > >
      > >"To Jacques de Saint-Luc undoubtedly belongs t= he credit for
      > transmitting the
      > >heritage of French= lute music to a new generation of Viennese
      > lutenists, the
      = > >last exponents of an instrument which was destined soon to
   disapp=
      ear
      > from
      > >the musical scene."
      > >
      > Thanks for passing this on. I am *extremely* skeptical that the St
   L=
      uc
      > of
      > these MSS (and the several more in the same han= d which have
   parts
      for
      > violin
      > and bass) is the same a= s the well-documented Jacques (about whom
      > book was
      > = written early this century). There is *no hint* of music in an
      earlier
      > style
      > in the MSS.
      > As for the final paragraph, = I couldn't disagree more with the
      authors.
      > If
      > they be= lieve that the Viennese lutenists were "the last
   exponents
      of
      > an= instrument which was destined soon to disappear from the
   musical
      >= ; scene," then
      > they either don't regard Weiss as a significant f= igure, or are
      > pig-ignorant.
      > Dufaut and Mouton both pl= ayed in 'Austria' and were far greater
      > composers
      > and,= probably, players. I suspect that J Gallot in his 'long
   journey
      >= abroad'
      > (see the intro to the Gallot edition) also visited Vien= na. As
   far
      as I
      > know
      > St Luc caused a stir at a weddin= g in Berlin in 1700, and there
   are
      one
      > or
      > two other r= eferences, but nothing to suggest he was as
      > highly-respected as<= br /> > any of these three.
      > I suspect Philippe Vendrix (who k= nows a thing or two) just read
      this
      > too
      > quickly.
      > It is, I'm afraid, the result of misplaced scholarly caution.
   Becaus=
      > (and
      > do not have the facts to challenge this) there= is no evidence
   that
      > JdeSL's
      > sons were lutenists, and= we have no evidence of JdeSL's date of
      > death, the music *must*= be by him. This simply does not follow -
   it
      is
      > a 'non sequitur'= . It could be by a cousin, an undocumented son
   or
      > someone impers= onating any one of them. One has to take the
      scholarly
      > risk of l= ooking
      > at the music, the MSS and their stylistic features and ma= king a
      > *judgement*!
      > Not hard in this case.
      >= (Steve Stubbs, a musician I greatly respect, asked me some years
   ago
      = > to think
      > about doing some liner notes for him but I never = heard any
      > more.)>>>>>>>>>>>>= >>>>>>>>>>>
      > I hope this helps. = I trust Tim's scholarship in this matter.
      > ed
      > At 11:2= 5 AM 3/23/2011, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
      > > By chance I've ju= st looked for any recorded music of Saint-Luc
      > and saw
      >= > that there's a CD by a 'Jacques-Alexandre de Saint Luc' with >=
      > dates given as 1663 - c.1715. I have no knowledge of the so= urce
   of
      > > this information but it would certainly fit with= the
   speculation
      > of two
      > > individuals with the = same, or similar,names. The players are
      > Jacques
      > > = Vandeville oboe and Daniel Fournier lute (and theorbo!).
      > >=
      > > MH
      > > --- On Wed, 23/3/11, Martyn Hodgs= on
      > > Subject: Jacques de Saint-Luc
      > > = To: "Baroque lute Dmth" <[3][6]baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >
      > Date: Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, 15:47
      > >
      >= ; >
      > > The dates of this composer are generally given as= 1616 - 1710
      > which
      > > seems a phenomenal life sp= an for the time and even more so
   when
      > his
      > > ext= ant lute works seem to be in the style of the early decades
   of
      > t= he
      > > 18th century (even down to fashionable
      > >= ; doubling of the top and bottom line by strings) which would
   have
      = > made
      > > him well into his 90s when these works were c= omposed.......
   His >
      > compositional style also seems much c= loser to Austro-germanic
      > composers
      > > like Logy,= von Radolt, Hintherleithner et al who flourished
      > around the
      > > turn of the century being predominantly in a polarised treb= le
   and
      > bass
      > > manner.
      > >
      >= ; > I can find little about this shadowy figure but am being
   drawn
      to=
      > the
      > > speculation that there may have been two= different composers
      > with the
      > > same name (fat= her and son/nephew perhaps). Can anybody shed
      > further
      >= > light? Perhaps I've missed a paper?
      > >
      > &g= t; One clue ought to be the names of pieces such as 'La Prise
   de
      > <= br /> > Barcellonne', which might suggest a date of 1705 or
   1714
      but co= uld be
      > > some earlier investment, or 'Le defaittes des Fra= ncois par les
      > Allemand
      > > Devant Turin' which su= ggests 1703. Again I find it hard to
      > believe that
      > >= ; the same San Luc was composing such 'modern' programmatic
   music
      = > at such
      > > a ripe old age.
      > >
      > = > MH