Thank you Arthur!

So there anyway is something to note in this piece... At least to the writer of this interesting ms.

best wishes,

Arto

On 14/01/13 20:38, Arthur Ness wrote:
It looks like a ligated (joined) NB, the abbreviation for Nota Bene.
The last down stroke on N and the downstroke on B are the same.
That's what the facsimile looks like, as far as I can tell.

I've seen NB in the K'berg manuscript to draw attention to pieces for
ensemble of
two - four lutes.  (I'm not suggesting it indicated a duet here. Cannot
find my notes on the NY manuscripts.)
inding ms.
ajn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Arto Wikla" <wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>
To: <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 3:29 PM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: "La prima sera" in NYp-MYO: composer and
structure?

In case someone wants to investigate the original title, you can see it
here:
   http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/NB.JPG

Any clarifications?

Arto

On 11/01/13 21:05, Arto Wikla wrote:
Dear baroque musicians,

I just "tubed" the curious "La prima sera" by "NB" (or "AB"?) in the ms.
US-NYpMYO. Who (or what) could this "NB" be? I could not find info of
that in the nice edition of the ms. by Michael Treder (Tree 2012). Maybe
I did not read his analysis enough - my reading German is very slow...
Anyone remembers some active composer N.B. or A.B. in Vienna around 1700? Not necessarily lutenist, for NB could also be the composer of the song?
And what about the song? Anyone happens to know,where it comes from?

My plays are in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_hEcbr6xr0&feature=youtu.be
  http://vimeo.com/57226475

Another interesting(?) question about the form of the piece (aria?):

The piece has a short A part, four measures.
The B part has three sections, b1 (4 bars), b2 (2 bars), b3 (2 bars).
There are some "repeat marks" (well, who knows, what they actually
are...;)

The written form is:
  A :|: b1 |: b2 |: b3 :|

I played it like this:
  A A b1 b2 b2 b3 b3 b1 b2 b2 b3 b3 A A

So I took the b2 as an "inside the B" repeat, and the b3 as the "petite
reprise".

Perhaps the B part should be
   b1 b2 b3 b2 b3 b3?
So, first a longer "petite reprise" and then a shorter "petite reprise"?

Repeating the A at the end just felt right. There is strong sense of a
"da capo" aria in this piece, at least to my understanding. No clues of
that in the ms., though...

For some reason or another, Michael T. has left out the "repeat marks"(?)
of the B part in his edition.

all the best,

Arto