Hey Chris,

My barry is a Sprint 8703e using BES connected to my corporate network. 12 days ago I saw that you updated pppob.cc and associated programs, so I uploaded the CVS and compiled. Wow, big changes since 0.12. Nice code btw.

I couldn't get the ipmodem to work, probably because the device is password protected, but I did get the serial modem working by adding the password support to ppppb.cc and adding my password to the pty command.

pty "/home/aherkey/src/barry/tools/pppob -vsP passwd"

$ diff pppob.cc pppob.cc.cvs
57d56
<    << "   -P pass   Simplistic method to specify device password\n"
136d134
<               string password;
140c138
<                       int cmd = getopt(argc, argv, "l:p:P:sv");
---
>                       int cmd = getopt(argc, argv, "l:p:sv");
154,157d151
<                       case 'P':       // Device password
<                               password = optarg;
<                               break;
<
227c221
< desktop.Open(password.c_str()); // FIXME - support password here?
---
>                       desktop.Open(); // FIXME - support password here?
231c225
<                       modem.Open(password.c_str());
---
>                       modem.Open();

Last week I saw that Michael Stokes was also using a 8703e, but he didn't say if he was using BES or what mode his modem was using. Just curious if his is also password protected. Anyway I did a few usbsnoops at work using XP and Sprint's connection manager (CM). Each time the CM asked twice for my password (maybe for each modem mode), but I never saw the BB request a password challenge. If I canceled entering the password the CM said that it couldn't find any devices. I did manage to wipe my BB by playing back a snoop dump. Thank goodness for backups. :) Oh well, I'll keep digging though.

Keep up the good work!

Andy
begin:vcard
fn:Andy Herkey