Running hal-blackberry alone could come out with errors.

What you need to do is take the UDI string from HAL (run hal-device for
a list of them) and post that into the enviroment variable UDI

$UDI='something' /usr/bin/hal-blackberry

That should then look at a real device.

If it still errors then we might have a problem with newer version of
hal. I made that for fiesty fawn (ubuntu) and what ever hal/dbus combo
that was using.

Oh and had any thoughts about making a fuze-fs python based (or c based)
plugin for the folder access and have it mount like the mass storage?

Best Regards, Martin Owens