Hi Denis,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 10:39:27PM +0100, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> As I understand it is now possible to have a full software GSM stack in
> software[1], with the stock osmocomBB since trx_toolkit target was
> merged in OsmocomBB.

trx_toolkit / fake_trx is used to connect the MS side OSmocomBB with
the network side stack (osmo-bts-trx, etc.).

> Many network side components have releases[2] and several distributions
> already have part of the osmocom stack packaged[3][4].

Yes, this is primarily due to there being a lot of commercial interest and
associated contributions, allowing various people working full-time on it
for about a decade now.

On the MS side, there has never been any significant commercial interest,
and this is reflected in the situation that almost no code is being developed
for a long time, and also very little maintenance and no releases.

> Would the osmocomBB be interested in doing releases? Or is there
> something that is preventing that from happening (lack of interest?,
> lack of time/volunteers?, technical issues?).

OsmocomBB is in sever lack of any form of contribution.  There is no technical
or other reason why there are no releases.

--
- Harald Welte <lafo...@osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)