27 mar 2007 kl. 11.46 skrev Bob MacCallum:

>> Now I can't speak for the BASE developers, but in my view, plug-ins
>> are what makes BASE tick, so my advice is to go for the plug-in
>> rather than the stand-alone app, if feasible. This way, you can make
>> use of all the BASE facilities for authorization, permissions,
>> database import/export, etc in an optimal way. Plus you don't need to
>> support different JRE's or firewall issues on remote machines.
>
> Hi Emil,
>
> I didn't mean a standalone application (i.e. on the user's desktop
> machine) -
> I meant a separate web application run on the same server that is
> running base
> (from the same tomcat too).
>
> cheers,
> Bob.

Sorry, my bad - thought you meant something similar to the MeV
webstart application in BASE 2.2.

Still, would it not need to do authentication, data import, etc in a
more extensive fashion than a plug-in (feel free to correct me on
this)? Also, any and all of the computational load of the app would
be on the web server, rather than on the client (webstart) or
potential job servers (plug-in).

If, on the other hand, computational time is negligible, there is no
need to export data back to BASE and/or adjustments are to be made
interactively, a webapp will do nicely. Just some thoughts.

Regardless, I'm quite convinced a report/visualisation tool of this
kind implemented in a general fashion would find many uses in the
BASE community. We'll take a closer look at it to give you some
creative feedback.

best,

/Emil