Hmmm, I don't know if this is related, but having set up BASE, I can get
to http://localhost:8080/base no problem, but as soon as I log in:

HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
message
it from fulfilling this request.
exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException:
Exception in JSP: /include/menu.jsp:972

969:            // Extensions menu
970:            JspContext context = ExtensionsControl.createContext(dc,
pageContext);
971:            ExtensionsInvoker<MenuItemAction> invoker =
972:
(ExtensionsInvoker<MenuItemAction>)ExtensionsControl.useExtensions(conte
xt,
973:
"net.sf.basedb.clients.web.menu.extensions");
974:            ExtensionsControl ec = ExtensionsControl.get(dc);
975:            ActionIterator<MenuItemAction> it = invoker.iterate();

Stacktrace:

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageCont
extImpl.java:842)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContex
tImpl.java:779)

org.apache.jsp.my_005fbase.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:604)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:98)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:328)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:315)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:265)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

net.sf.basedb.clients.web.servlet.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(Chara
cterEncodingFilter.java:72)

root cause
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Exception in JSP:
/include/menu.jsp:972

969:            // Extensions menu
970:            JspContext context = ExtensionsControl.createContext(dc,
pageContext);
971:            ExtensionsInvoker<MenuItemAction> invoker =
972:
(ExtensionsInvoker<MenuItemAction>)ExtensionsControl.useExtensions(conte
xt,
973:
"net.sf.basedb.clients.web.menu.extensions");
974:            ExtensionsControl ec = ExtensionsControl.get(dc);
975:            ActionIterator<MenuItemAction> it = invoker.iterate();

Stacktrace:

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServle
tWrapper.java:467)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:389)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:315)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:265)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(JspRuntimeLibrary.ja
va:965)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.include(PageContextImpl.java:6
05)
        net.sf.basedb.clients.web.taglib.Body.doStartTag(Body.java:280)

org.apache.jsp.my_005fbase.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:223)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:98)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:328)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:315)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:265)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

net.sf.basedb.clients.web.servlet.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(Chara
cterEncodingFilter.java:72)

root cause
java.lang.NullPointerException

net.sf.basedb.clients.web.extensions.ExtensionsControl.useExtensions(Ext
ensionsControl.java:249)
        org.apache.jsp.include.menu_jsp._jspService(menu_jsp.java:2186)

[...]

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5.23 logs.