Hi Dave,

sorry for the long delay, caused by the occidental winter break..
You've analyzed very well what are the inconsistencies between an
"empty database" and a database with one empty document – and I know
it's no real excuse that this issue hasn't caused any problems in our
own use cases. The basic reason why we have equalized an empty
document node with an "empty database" some time ago was that we
wanted to avoid too many new code snippets that dealt with the special
case of having stored no data at all.

In a nutshell, I completely agree that the solution you are proposing
would be more consistent, but I suspect that we'd need quite some time
to rework all the relevant lines of code. If you are interested in
tackling this challenge, I'll be more than glad!

Best,
Christian