Hi Jeremy,

it’s somewhat surprising, but XQuery itself has no database semantics.
This is the reason why the implementation of fn:collection is pretty
much implementation-defined [1]. In BaseX, the function checks if the
specified URI matches a database. If negative, the URI will be
resolved against the file system. I’m not sure why it didn’t turn out
to do so in your scenario, but I’m pretty sure you’ll find some
answers in our Wiki article on BaseX databases [2]. If not, feel free
to give us some more feedback.

Christian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-collection
[2] http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Databases