Hi Dirk --

I understand that you don't want to break backward compatibility, but
a)it never gets easier, only harder, when you must do that, as more
existing applications accumulate and b)the example given of the type
of problem is seriously bad code.  (I totally believe this kind of
code exists in the wild; I can't muster much sympathy for an
observation that "give me every text node in the document" is likely
to go wrong, because my experience says it is _certain_ to go wrong,
you never do that without qualifying which text nodes you mean.)

And, really, yeah, a commitment to backward compatibility is good; a
commitment to preserving error is not, and the CHOP default behaviour
is an error.  Abstractions like backward compatibility don't even get
into the discussion when the initial client response is "you changed
our data and broke it".  The client having that reaction wasn't very
nuanced about it (and didn't immediately understand they were looking
at a copy) but they weren't wrong.  This really is a serious bug for
mixed content.

So, please, could we get a release version commitment for when this
bug will be fixed?

Thanks!
Graydon