I wonder if this is related?
It seems to me that the  port and host do not get picked up from the system
properties in WEB_INF/jetty.xml.

  <Set name="host"><SystemProperty name="org.basex.serverhost"
default="0.0.0.0"/></Set>
        <Set name="port"><SystemProperty name="org.basex.serverport"
default="8984"/></Set>

 That is: In the following instructions step 3 should not be required.
http://cubeb.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-very-rough-guide-to-running-basex-on.html
 I have never gotten around to investigating this further.

/Andy