Hi Roy,

> I was wondering if anyone has some information about BaseX multi-core
> performance.
>
> Does BaseX utilize multi-core architecture to parallel-process the Xqueries?

There has been some discussion on the list in the past; see e.g.:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/basex-talk%40mailman.uni-konstanz.de/msg03076.html
  http://www.mail-archive.com/basex-talk%40mailman.uni-konstanz.de/msg03159.html
  http://www.mail-archive.com/basex-talk%40mailman.uni-konstanz.de/msg02018.html

A general note: as BaseX is a full programming language, it is a
non-trivial problem to compute arbitrary queries in parallel, and I'm
not aware of any other XQuery processor that provides such
capabilities. Disk access is often slower when done in parallel (in
particular on conventional hard-disks), as parallel, uncoordinagted
queries may lead to random access pattern.

Potential solutions could be to provide...

* functions for explicitly creating and joining threads
* optimize special XQuery expressions for parallel executions.

Hope this helps,