Gilles,

> However I'm interested in having a look at the documentation of the XQuery
> engine structure. I might then be able to do some suggestions.
> Where should I start reading from?

thanks for the offer, very appreciated!

We try our best to keep the sources well-documented, so you could
start by downloading and analyzing the code base [1]. If you prefer a
theoretic approach, you could as well dive into the (few) existing
publications on how to parallelize XQuery requests (e.g. [2]). General
parallelization approaches for functional languages might as well be
applied to XQuery, as long as an XQuery expression doesn't include any
non-deterministic code (such as calls to the File Module etc.).

Hope this helps,
Christian

[1] http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Developing
[2] http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=xquery+parallelization