> This is the script that serializes to (XML), JSON and HTML in existdb
>
> https://gist.github.com/zopyx/eee05f7a421a6c0b6b80

Thanks. I guess it follows the conversion rules described in [1]?

> My broader goal is to figure out how to write scripts for both
> databases in a compatible way in order to keep the necessary
> changes as minimal as possible.

Makes perfect sense. Do you have a particular opinion or preference
when it comes to converting XML to JSON? What are your typical use
cases?

I am just asking because there are so many different approaches out
there, and none of them is really satisfying (the last request on our
list from Florent Gallaire was just a few weeks ago). It will be
impossible to cover all of them in a single implementation, but we
could at least try to find a common solution for BaseX and eXist.

[1] http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/wiki/blogs/eXist/JSONSerializer
[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de/msg05390.html