Hello Scoobbs,

you are right, the main software repositories for many linux
distributions contain mostly outdated BaseX versions. Unfortunately, it
is not that easy to build correct packages for all distributions (as you
surely know, there are many Linux distributions around and there are
several relevant packing formats). Even more so, there is a not
straightforward path to follow to include software into a main
repository of a distribution, which takes time and effort.
We currently do not have this time, but we would always be happy if
users would volunteer to regularly include the latest versions at the
distribution of their choice, i.e. to include it into the official
repositories.

But all is not lost: Instead of downloading the jar file, just download
the zip distribution and extract the file. There you will find the
bin/basexgui (or bin/basex for the command-line version) which you can
simply execute and everything should be up and running.

Hope this helps,
Dirk

--
Dirk Kirsten, BaseX GmbH, http://basexgmbh.de
|-- Firmensitz: Blarerstrasse 56, 78462 Konstanz
|   Dr. Christian Grün, Dr. Alexander Holupirek, Michael Seiferle
`-- Phone: 0049 7531 28 28 676, Fax: 0049 7531 20 05 22