I would recommend an App like Gnome Contacts (allows creation of custom fields for grad dates, courses and freeform notes) for your contacts database, this would be more "fast-and-dirty" and wouldn't require you to "learn new tricks"...

Cheers,
Philipp

On 21.08.2015 08:35, basex-talk-requ...@mailman.uni-konstanz.de wrote:
Message: 5
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 19:03:49 -0300
From: Scoobbs<scoo...@gmail.com>
To:basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de
Subject: [basex-talk] Looks like...

*?Looks like no one cares much for Ubuntu. I have version 7.7.2 installed,
through the Ubuntu Software Center. It was just a matter of cliking here
and there(actually no more than two clicks) and there I was. It even looks
like BaseX realy works!!!??Well, now that I have decided to try to use it,
there came a message saying a new version is available, namely
8.2.3.Alright, I agreed I should update it. But then I was taken to a site
where something should be downloaded, in order for the installation to
happen. A 'file' or 'container' with a .jar extension should be it, I
thought. But, then again, there seemed to be no executable(or, easily
executable) file/module/app, whatever, was found. So I concluded I am not
as clever as most of the people building BaseX are. And, I ask:- Why is
there not an actually easy way to install the application? - Is it so damn
hard to build a thing like that? - Why is it so simple to implement
applications included in the cited Ubuntu Software Center, for simple
minded people like me, who can use effective tools like BaseX seems to be
but are not capable of understanding(much less to use, and retain in
memory, tens of cryptic commands???Anyway, my intent is actually to ask
someone(some good soul?) to update the Software Center so that one( I
suppose many...) can fast-and-dirtly(sorry... this is just a way to show my
frustration) use the tool.Thanks for any attention given to this request.
And, if someone does anything like what I asked above, please just tell me
where and what I must do. No need for replies nor attempts to teach me how
to do it(I inclusively think maybe it is not that difficult to do as it is
today, once one knows how to, but I am actually too old to learn new
tricks...).??Cordially, ?Scoobbs?(who just thought he could build a simple
database containing names, addresses, etc. about friends and
** well, maybe, with some links to other variable attibutes of persons,
like, courses attended, graduation data etc. etc.)?*