Hi Christian --

Thank you, that was helpful!  (And the faint squeaking noise of my brain
expanding when I first read through it may stick, too. :)

The eventual business requirement wound up being something else entirely.

The overall goal is to alter some complex application files that happen to
be expressed in XML, to avoid a (lengthy and expensive) need for someone to
manually change all the files through the application.  It's not an open
file format.  The actual alteration is being done with XSLT, but BaseX is
being extremely useful when it comes to "failing fast" on possible
approaches to figuring out what to change.  Matching on composed names
turned out not to work at all, but finding that out in a couple of days was
much better than finding out after the XSLT produced gibberish.

Thanks!
Graydon