Good idea but I was pretty sure that this comes from within BaseX not oXygen. You can configure the parser and the executor of your XQuery in oXygen und I used BaseX for both.

So I found in basex-examples a XQJ tutorial. And just by changing Part1.java a little and filling in the example query from the Wiki I also get

  XQJQS001 - Invalid XQuery syntax, syntax does not pass static validation.
  Root Cause:
  net.xqj.basex.bin.bB: Lexical error at line 1, column 12. Encountered: " " (32), after : "!"   at org.basex.examples.xqj.tutorial.simplemaptest.main(simplemaptest.java:34)   at org.basex.examples.xqj.tutorial.simplemaptest.main(simplemaptest.java:34)

So most probably BaseX'es XQJ parser does not understand the simple map operator.

XQSequence xqjs = xqje.executeQuery("xquery version \"3.1\"; (1 to 10) ! element
node { . }");